Ethiopia-Based Program Manager
The Kaizen Company (Kaizen) seeks candidates for a full-time Program Manager position to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The candidate will be a member of Kaizen's Washington, DC-based Home Office team, while physically working from the office in Addis Ababa. The position requires a self-starter with a high level of flexibility, creativity, and commitment to excellence. Candidates should possess solid project management experience on USAID-funded projects, excellent oral and written communication skills, and an interest in working in a challenging environment that presents many opportunities for recognition and personal growth.
Illustrative responsibilities and qualifications for the position are listed below:
- Serve as Program Manager for donor-funded program(s) in Ethiopia and the surrounding region. Includes overseeing overall operational backstopping, managing the project budget, ensuring financial and contractual compliance, managing field personnel and subcontracts, and liaising with the client and partners on operational issues.
- Contribute to and support program technical work, work plans, and M&E plans.
- Support Kaizen's proposal development efforts, including personnel recruitment, proposal coordination and management, writing sections of the technical proposal, preparing cost submissions including budgets, and liaising with partners.
- Contribute to select Kaizen strategic initiatives and projects including Kaizen's innovation design and testing activities, improving knowledge management and human resource development, and providing input into strategic decisions
- Masters' degree in business administration, international development, or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience, at least 2 of which include leading project management for a USAID-funded program
- Ability to qualify for a work permit and work visa in Ethiopia
- Willingness to travel throughout Ethiopia and the region
- Supervisory experience required
- Demonstrated capacity for managing multi-year program budgets, and familiarity with FAR, AIDAR and ability to learn other USG regulations that apply to Kaizen's current and upcoming initiatives
- Strong writing skills are necessary
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to balance and prioritize diverse tasks with limited oversight
- Natural dedication to Kaizen's Core Values, Vision, and Mission
- Understanding of (or ability to rapidly learn and comprehend) the social, economic and political landscape of Ethiopia
- Fluency in French a plus
Note 1: We may hire multiple candidates from this recruit, and may hire at different levels of seniority, based on candidate experience.
Note 2: If the successful candidate has a current home of record outside of Ethiopia, Kaizen will negotiate a mobilization/demobilization and living quarters package.
For candidates applying for positions based in Kaizen's office in Washington, DC, we utilize career.place to mitigate bias in the recruitment process. Upon submitting an application, candidates will receive an email from career.place, prompting them to go through the anonymous screening. In order to be considered for a role, candidates must respond to career.place and proceed with the application. We do not currently use career.place for project positions outside of the United States.
At Kaizen, A Tetra Tech Company, we find strength in our diversity. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential. We know that we can only do development differently if we are open to and inclusive of new and unique perspectives. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations to apply. Further, we urge parents and non-parents, married and unmarried, those from different or non-traditional educational backgrounds, and persons of all other diverse identities or experiences to apply. Kaizen is an equal opportunity employer.