Lead CLA Specialist (Director Level)
About The Kaizen Company
The Kaizen Company (Kaizen) is an international development consulting firm and an incubator for innovative, scalable solutions that address emerging market challenges and opportunities. Our proven solutions catalyze locally driven organizational and institutional performance improvements and establish communities of practice that facilitate peer-to-peer learning and the achievement of shared goals. We aspire to transform the nature and impact of development assistance and work to strengthen organizations and institutions through innovative approaches to organizational development, reform, and change.
USAID Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Activity Overview
The Jordan Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Activity (“the Activity”) is designed to ensure USAID’s activities in Jordan achieve their intended results through monitoring and evaluation, strategic assessments, and USAID’s Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting approach (CLA). The Activity helps USAID create a dynamic learning environment among development actors focused on innovation, quality Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) practices, and knowledge sharing. Through the Activity Accelerator, a rapid procurement mechanism, a cohort of Jordanian firms work with the Activity team to successfully deliver projects while simultaneously strengthening their management and compliance systems. This approach provides USAID with high-quality MEL services across its portfolio, builds the capacity of local MEL organizations, and ensures USAID programs meaningfully empower and enhance local participation. The Activity team ensures program sustainability by building the technical and institutional capacity of one or more local organizations to be capable of managing the MEL contract that follows the Activity.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The Lead CLA Specialist will direct all the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Activity (The Activity) CLA activities. S/he will report to the Deputy Chief of Party and will be responsible for ensuring all activities are staffed commensurate with services, while safeguarding the Activity’s learning objective with USAID and project staff, subcontractors, and consultants. The CLA team, led by this individual, will be responsible for all learning deliverables under the Activity. This team will work closely with the MEL team in scoping discrete tasks for firms to engage in the Activity services.
Specific duties include:
● Work closely with the Senior MEL Specialist to ensure alignment across technical workstreams
● Support regular and intentional reflection and learning among the Activity, USAID/Jordan, and implementing partners.
● Supervises the CLA Team, which includes the Senior Trainer and CLA Specialist, the Senior Organizational Development Specialist, the Strategic Communications Specialist, and the long-term STTA CLA/MEL Officer.
● Support following-up and training on Learning Agendas, convening communities of practice and sector working groups, supporting events to promote collaboration and learning, and support stocktaking and strategy development.
● In coordination with the COP, lead and manage all CLA-related technical work conducted throughout the life of the activity.
● Oversee relevant deliverables, learning, and communication products.
● Advise and provide quality assurance on program design, quality development, and production of reports and assessments.
● Ensure that short-term technical experts recruited under this contract are of a high caliber and possess the required technical expertise.
● Provide technical assistance and training, as needed, for USAID, implementing partners, and government counterpart staff.
- A Master’s degree in relevant subject areas plus a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant work experience in CLA, monitoring and evaluation, capacity building, and/or project management in developing countries; or
- A Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of ten (10) years relevant experience working in CLA, monitoring and evaluation, capacity building, and/or project management in developing countries.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in the integration of CLA into field or donor programming.
- Experience organizing and leading trainings and workshops with USAID, implementation partners, and other participants.
- Strong understanding/experience of organizational and institutional development.
- Ability to communicate English effectively both orally and in writing, including the production, oversight, and quality control of high-quality reports.
- A firm understanding of the Jordanian context and the ability to manage a highly skilled, interdisciplinary team.
- Experience developing and applying resources to create, capture, organize, and share knowledge across technical sectors, multiple donors, and within project activities and staff.
- Experience in establishing and managing dynamic feedback systems to capture experiential learning and unintended consequences
For candidates applying for positions based in Kaizen's office in Washington, DC, we utilize career.place to mitigate bias in the recruitment process. Upon submitting an application, candidates will receive an email from career.place, prompting them to go through the anonymous screening. In order to be considered for a role, candidates must respond to career.place and proceed with the application. We do not currently use career.place for project positions outside of the United States.
At Kaizen, A Tetra Tech Company, we find strength in our diversity. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential. We know that we can only do development differently if we are open to and inclusive of new and unique perspectives. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations to apply. Further, we urge parents and non-parents, married and unmarried, those from different or non-traditional educational backgrounds, and persons of all other diverse identities or experiences to apply. Kaizen is an equal opportunity employer.