The Business Development Manager reports to the Business Development Director and performs a variety of tasks to lead and support Kaizen’s mid- and long-term growth strategies. We are looking for a USAID-experienced Business Development Manager, with a collaborative spirit and a keen eye for detail to share Kaizen’s vision for impact with clients in a practical way. The Business Development Manager will serve in capture and live proposal line roles and support other Business Development efforts to get our ideas into action. S/he will be responsible for ensuring the development and delivery of compliant, compelling proposals. Experience working with a USAID implementing partner is required.
- Identifies and develops business development opportunities, based on Kaizen’s past performance, qualifications, and overarching business development goals;
- Maintains Kaizen’s opportunities database and makes sure that it is consistently and accurately updated;
- Works with the Business Development Director and Technical Directors to develop and implement annual strategic action plan;
- Supports the Business Development Director and Technical Directors in the development of technical and cost proposals – during the capture and live proposal stages – in full alignment with clients’ requirements.
- Serves in line roles on proposal efforts in response to client solicitations;
- Conducts desk and field research and analysis to support capture and live proposal development;
- Responsible for managing the full-cycle proposal process to ensure submission of high quality, compliant, and competitive proposals while ensuring strict adherence to deadlines;
- Leads the proposal kick-off process to include; designing the proposal calendar, aligning internal resources (in collaboration with the BD Director and Proposal Czar), organizing, and leading the kick-off meeting;
- Serves as the primary POC across capture and proposal teams, facilitating teaming, staffing, technical, and pricing strategy discussions, communicating compliance requirements, and sharing updates, and amendments with the proposal team;
- Develops a detailed cost and technical compliance matrix for assigned proposals; responsible for ensuring final proposals meet compliance guidelines and remain responsive to the solicitation requirements; Assists with facilitating strategy sessions to discuss the proposal design; Manages the logistics coordination of color team reviews in collaboration with the Proposal Coordinator.
- Reviews technical and cost volumes including annexes, assists with section writing, copy-editing, formatting, and recruitment as needed;
- Oversees proposal development consultants to include but not limited to; developing proposal consultant SOWs, overseeing the quality and timeliness of deliverables, and invoice approvals;
- Collaborates with the Recruiter to monitor proposal recruitment and assist as needed to ensure that all proposal associated recruitment documents (CVs, LOCs, Biodata, etc) are compliant, and finalized;
- Responsible for holding regular check-ins with capture and live proposal teams to ensure adherence to the proposal schedule and flag any resourcing, compliance or other issues as needed to the Business Development Director;
- Responsible for overseeing Proposal Knowledge Management processes to include but not limited to, storing all final submissions, and proposal documents in the internal shared drive, and the Kaizen BD Wiki page;
- Responsible for maintaining proactive involvement within the international development industry and proposal management profession to stay abreast of the latest developments, innovations, and best practices;
- Other duties as assigned;
- Demonstrated experience reviewing solicitation documents for compliance requirements; Must have a keen eye for detail;
- A can-do attitude with the flexibility to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment with different personality types;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent command of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint applications;
- Past supervisory experience required;
- Professional, punctual, dependable, reliable, with a desire to learn;
- Authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship; and
- To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter.
- Graduate degree and minimum of 4 years of full-time work experience directly in international development or Bachelor’s degree and 6 years of full-time work experience directly in international development;
Senior Manager level
- Graduate degree and minimum of 6 years of full-time work experience directly in international development or Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of full-time work experience directly in international development.
For candidates applying for positions based in Kaizen's office in Washington, DC, we utilize career.place to mitigate bias in the recruitment process. Upon submitting an application, candidates will receive an email from career.place, prompting them to go through the anonymous screening. In order to be considered for a role, candidates must respond to career.place and proceed with the application. We do not currently use career.place for project positions outside of the United States.
At Kaizen, A Tetra Tech Company, we find strength in our diversity. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential. We know that we can only do development differently if we are open to and inclusive of new and unique perspectives. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations to apply. Further, we urge parents and non-parents, married and unmarried, those from different or non-traditional educational backgrounds, and persons of all other diverse identities or experiences to apply. Kaizen is an equal opportunity employer.