Technical Director – Organizational Development
The Kaizen Company is an incubator for innovative, scalable solutions that address emerging market challenges and opportunities. Our proven solutions catalyze locally driven organizational and institutional performance improvements and establish communities of practice that facilitate peer-to-peer learning and the achievement of shared goals.
We leverage existing knowledge, technology, new media, and local peer networks to support locally-driven reforms. Since our inception, we have provided support to more than 100 government, private-sector, and non-profit organizations in markets worldwide. We have created solutions that achieve outcomes across a broad range of sectors including education, governance, economic growth, environment and water, energy, and global law enforcement. At Kaizen organizational development is a foundational theme in all the work we do, regardless of sector.
Scope and Objectives
The Kaizen Company is seeking candidates for the position of Technical Director – Organizational Development to be based in the home office in Washington, DC, and to support Kaizen’s projects around the world.
The Technical Director – Organizational Development will serve as the home office technical lead for Kaizen’s organizational development work. They will be an integral part of Kaizen’s core team and help the company win and implement important projects in the United States and abroad. Functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serving as the home office technical lead for Kaizen prime and sub contracts in the US and abroad
- Providing technical instruction, guidance, and strategic direction to Kaizen personnel in the field, including Chiefs of Party on prime contracts and Kaizen staff working on subcontracts
- Providing technical oversight and quality control on project deliverables, workplans, and activities
- Serving as the senior point of contact in the home office for clients (e.g., USAID) of our field-based work
- Identifying and resolving any implementation or other challenges that may arise during project implementation
- Acting as a field-based Chief of Party based on project needs
- Designing, developing, and writing technical approaches for proposals
- Recruiting organizational development staff for projects and the Kaizen home office
- Liaising with project management staff to ensure full integration of Kaizen’s technical and administrative support
- Mentoring and supervising staff for activities related to organizational development
- Initiating and managing internal Kaizen organizational development activities such a process improvements, strategy definition etc.
- Contributing to Kaizen’s thought leadership in applying organizational development to development challenges in innovative ways
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Organizational Behavior, organizational Development, Human Resources, change management, or related field
- Minimum of seven years of experience as a specialist delivering services in organizational development, management consulting, or related fields
- Experience living and working in developing country environments
- Demonstrated ability to apply organizational development principles and approaches in multiple technical fields and in different types of organization
- Experience leading US government-funded projects internationally
- Demonstrated success winning USG-funded contracts and grants
- Satisfactory past performance in organizational development, organizational transformation, organizational design, and/or corporate strategy
- Fluent in both spoken and written English language
- Masters degree or higher in Business Administration, Organizational Behavior, organizational Development, Human Resources, change management, or related field
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilizing, and working in multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strategic management consulting experience
- Professional certifications relevant for organizational development (e.g., Certified Performance Technologist)
- Fluency in one or more languages other than English