The Kaizen Company (Kaizen) is an incubator for innovative, scalable solutions that address emerging market challenges and opportunities. Our proven solutions catalyze locally-driven, organizational and institutional performance improvements, and shift the development model into one that is bottom-up and ongoing. We leverage existing knowledge along with new technologies and innovative business models to support local reform that is sustained through market forces.
Scope and Objectives
The Kaizen Company is seeking a part-time Communications Specialist (40 – 70 days LOE per year) who either lives in Zimbabwe or has significant experience in Zimbabwe to support the two-year My Health My Live multi-media project, a collaboration of innovators including Discovery Learning Alliance, The Kaizen Company, and Picture Impact. In partnership with USAID’s local implementing partners in Zimbabwe, the project will design, produce, and distribute a movie, interactive card game, and audience engagement strategy.
The Communications Specialist will have demonstrated experience maximizing investments to reach target audiences. She/he will advise on a cost-effective promotion strategy for the upcoming movie, leveraging both social media and existing USAID-supported programs operating throughout Zimbabwe. She/he will work directly with The Kaizen Company, serve as Kaizen’s on-the-ground representative for the project, and liaise with a local communications and marketing firm.
- Develop an interview questionnaire to determine best channels for reaching the target audience (AGYW)
- Conduct interviews with AGYWs to determine messages and channels to engage them most effectively
- Review social media and other potential channels and determine optimal strategy for engaging AGYW
- As part of promotional campaign strategy, determine the most cost-effective, optimal use of contests and prizes to generate maximum awareness of the upcoming movie release (e.g. what type of prize would elicit greatest participation)
- Determine where to achieve the greatest return on investment (in terms of maximizing awareness and anticipation/excitement of the upcoming movie) given limited budget
- Create and advise on the messaging slate used to inform project’s feature-length movie, outreach and marketing, and development of the interactive card game
- Minimum of BA, ideally in Communications or similar area, preferably with an emphasis on communications for development or behavior change
- Proven experience maximizing communications investments to reach target audiences, and creating channels for dialogue among targeted demographics
- At least 5 years of professional experience in communications and marketing, and ideally, in health and behavior change communication, such as experience creating “youth-friendly” messaging and/or messaging targeted to adolescent girls and young women
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary team environment
- Excellent writing and documentation skills
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; and knowledge of Shona, not required, but a plus
To apply for this position please follow the following steps:
- Complete the online application.
- Attach your resume.
- You may also include other documents such as cover letter and/or a work sample.
- Submit your application, resume, and any additional documents.
Please note that applications submitted by other means; or without resume will not be considered.
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.